Monday, April 9, 2012

Questions

While I was in Amsterdam, I had an amazing conversation with a nice couple from England who were probably in their early 30s. The one thing that really struck me by surprise was when our conversation drifted towards their perceptions of America. One of their first and most emphasized beliefs was that the American police force is “scary”. They were convinced that police in America had way too much power and that they were incredibly strict and controlling. This perspective came at a complete surprise to me, as I never before really questioned the practicality and implications of the police system in America. Was there any merit to their beliefs? I don’t think so, but then again I haven’t really been paying much attention to the police force here. In fact, there are very few times where I even recall seeing Switzerland’s police force. Is that a sign of any societal difference, or simply the lack of personal attention to my surroundings? No, I don’t think it’s due to any lack of attention on my part.  Maybe Switzerland’s crime rate is a lot lower than that of the U.S. If that were the case, why does such a disparity exist in the first place? Is it because of the economy? Cultural differences? It could very well be both, but perhaps it has to do with our laws. I know a large part of the U.S. law enforcement budget is spent on the war against drugs. Switzerland has a much more liberal stance on drugs and doesn’t waste nearly as much resources on the matter. Even so, that alone shouldn’t account for these differences. Are the police in America really that scary to begin with? They aren’t really allowed to encroach upon us in any way that would come across as unfair—too many restrictions from the law. And even if they were somewhat “scary” or “strict”, would you even notice unless you were doing something wrong? It’s amazing how such a small comment from a stranger can evoke so many interesting thoughts and questions about a society that I previously unquestioningly accepted. The fact that this semester has been full of thoughts and experiences similar to these only makes my return the United States that much more exciting, as I look forward to personally examining the society that I had lived in for 20 years for the very first time.

1 comment:

  1. I see the polizia all the time. One reason why you might not notice them as much is that they don't pull cars over here. They have automatic cameras on the side of the roads that take a photo of your car and the speed you were driving and automatically send you a ticket in the mail. Although we have some of that in the U.S., it isn't very prevalent so the police have to pull cars over personally.

    ReplyDelete